If you’ve been in the transportation industry for any amount of time, you have experienced some sort of drivability issue while on the road. Whether it’s a blown-out tire or mechanical issue, operating issues can be stressful and dangerous.
Most companies have policies against pulling over on the shoulder of the road unless there’s a mechanical or medical emergency. These policies are put into place to protect not only you the driver but also motoring public.
When Drivability Issues Arise
When an issue comes up while you’re on the road, make sure you do the following:
- If possible, find a safe place to pull over (rest stop, truck stop, parking lot) out of the way.
- Figure out your location so roadside assistance can get to you as quickly as possible.
- If you do have to pull over on the shoulder of the road, turn on your flashers, and use safety triangles, road flares or other safety measures.
- When you are on the shoulder, stay in the truck.
If you are a company driver, make sure you have contact information for the appropriate departments. Know who to call to help you get back on the road safely and rapidly. If you are an owner-operator, consider buying an emergency roadside service plan. Do your research on the many companies that offer these services to pick the plan and price that works best for you.
How to Avoid Roadside Service Issues
Always keep in mind that the best way to manage your risk of requiring roadside service is to reduce your odds of having an issue in the first place. Some best practices to follow are:
- Perform regular pre-trip inspections.
- Make sure you have regular preventative maintenance performed on your truck.
By implementing these proactive measures as part of your regular routine, you can identify potential hazards before they become a danger on the road. Make sure you do your part to keep your equipment safe for both you and for others around you on the road. Be safe!
The England Carrier Services (ECS) division offers a variety of services for carriers ranging from maintenance to support. As ECS members, carriers have access to nationwide discounts on fuel and tires from dedicated team members who are committed to finding the best price. ECS also provides factoring services with benefits such as same-day funding to a bank account or fuel card. These options allow carriers the freedom to focus on growing their business while saving time and money.