The 2024 hurricane season is projected to be especially severe. Stay current, stay equipped, and stay safe this hurricane season.

Posted & filed under Carrier Connection.

The NOAA recently shared “Life-saving information” about a stronger-than-normal hurricane season. From June 1 to November 30, the NOAA predicts an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a regular season, and a 5% chance of a below-normal season.


Image courtesy of the NOAA.

In addition to the dangers to safety posed by hurricanes, much of the supply chain flow is also in jeopardy. Powerful storms can cause significant disturbances to carrier businesses as routes are disrupted.

Here’s what you need to know for this upcoming hurricane season and what you can do to be prepared.


What Do We Know About this Hurricane Season?

The criteria for a ‘normal’ hurricane season revolves around how many storms we can expect in 2024.

NOAA has forecasted with 70% confidence that we can expect 17-25 named storms (or storms exceeding winds of 39 mph), 8-13 hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), and 4-7 major hurricanes (winds of 111 mph or higher). That’s a lot of storms in one season.

NOAA analysts speculate that the extraordinary season is attributable to near-record temperatures across the Atlantic Ocean.


How Can Truckers Be Prepared?

Though the exact timing and severity of a storm are virtually impossible to predict, truckers can take a few measures to be prepared.


1. Stay Current on Weather Trends

As mentioned, NOAA is a reliable resource for objective updates concerning hurricanes. By checking their website periodically, you’ll have access to regular updates concerning severe weather.

The National Hurricane Center (NHC), as its name suggests, offers detailed information about upcoming hurricanes as they are detected. It is a valuable resource for hourly updates on hurricanes.


2. Prepare Your Rig

If you live in an area particularly prone to hurricanes, like Florida, you may consider making modifications to your rig to be prepared.

With the advent of a hurricane, even if you are nowhere near the epicenter, you may still experience tremendous rainfall. In these times, you must have tires with water-shooing grooves to maintain grip.

Using the form below, you can receive the BFGoodrich DR444 drive tire at a special price for a tire that dispels water.


    3. Stock Up on Critical Resources

    Should the worst-case scenario befall you and you are stranded in a hurricane, you’ll need a few essential supplies to stay safe.

    Experts recommend storing the following in your vehicle:

    • Blankets
    • Batteries
    • Flashlights
    • Rain gear
    • Portable phone chargers
    • Non-perishable food
    • Plenty of water

    Additionally, communication devices, like cell phones, should be kept charged in an emergency.

    The 2024 hurricane season is projected to be especially severe. Though hurricanes can bring a well-planned route to a grinding halt, you can keep trucking if you’re prepared. Stay current, stay equipped, and stay safe this hurricane season.



    The England Carrier Services (ECS) division offers carriers various services, from maintenance to support. As ECS members, carriers have access to nationwide discounts on fuel and tires from dedicated team members committed to finding the best price. ECS also provides factoring services with benefits such as same-day funding to a bank account or fuel card. These options allow carriers the freedom to focus on growing their business while saving time and money.